GED Prep Online
How To Enroll in GED Online Classes:
Complete all 6 steps below:
Step 1. You must be a current non-credit IRSC student, or you can Apply to IRSC here. When applying, select option #10 for your program, and be sure to write down your student ID number. Apply only if you've never had a student ID# in the past.
Step 2. You must have NRS Level 4 or above in all subjects on the TABE 11/12 test. Please call an IRSC GED Prep Location nearest to you to schedule the TABE placement test. You'll need your student ID number.
Step 3. Complete the Computer Literacy Checkpoint to show that you have the basic computer and technology skills needed for online classwork. You will need to do the following:
- Download and Save the Computer Literacy Checkpoint onto your hard drive so you can make changes to it.
- Open the saved document and click Enable Editing. Follow all the instructions, save the changes you've made, and email the document.
- You will receive an email response within 24 business hours.
- If you don't receive an email reply within 24 business hours, it could mean that you did not complete the checkpoint correctly. Try re-sending the Checkpoint.
- *** Be be sure to complete the Computer Literacy Checkpoint and receive an email response before making your facilitation appointment to enroll in GED Prep online classes. ***
Step 4. Meet with a Facilitator to review your scores and sign the online student expectation documents.
- Call a campus near you to schedule your facilitation appointment. Click to view locations.
- When you receive the email reply confirming that you have completed Step #3, show it to your facilitator during your appointment. Let him or her know you want to enroll in online classes.
- Students will need to agree to the Online Student Agreement and Internet Course Responsibilities and a few other forms.
Step 5. Pay the term fee of $30 for the semester. This fee must be paid every semester to be registered in GED Prep classes. You can pay in person at the IRSC cashier's office, or you can pay online by logging on to MyPioneerPortal using your Rivermail account information. The term fee is non-refundable.
- You will receive an email with your instructor's name when you are registered.
Step 6. Attend the GED Prep Online Orientation via your computer. No need to come on campus.
- Once you've completed all the steps above and pay the term fee, you will be registered, but you must attend the one-time online orientation so your online teacher could give you access to your classwork.
- The required online orientation is computer based so there's no need to come to campus for the orientation.
- Be sure to have the sound enabled on your computer so you can hear what the speaker is saying. You may also want to have a microphone enabled in case you have questions.
- The orientation starts promptly at 7:00pm on the scheduled date and lasts about an hour. It's important to login on time because a lot of important information will be covered. A lot will be covered on how to logon to your classes, your dashboard, email, as well as registration, scholarships, and IRSC opportunities and support available to you.
- Contact your assigned teacher after the orientation and expect to be contacted with instructions. Your teacher will give you access to your classwork only after you've completed the online orientation.
- If you miss the orientation, please scroll down to the calendar below to see when the next one will be offered. Remember, you must attend the orientation so your teacher could give you access to your classwork.
Once you've completed all the six steps above, your teacher will provide you with instructions. If you have any questions or concerns, please send an email to Paul Sanchez or call 772-336-6230.
Begin your GED Prep Online classes
Begin your GED Prep Online classes
Online Adult Education Staff
If you have any questions regarding the online GED prep program at IRSC, please send an email to Paul Sanchez or call 772-336-6264.